WordPress pages are the ‘top tier’ of content for the WP website. I use pages to populate my navigation menu’s.
Type of information I generally put on Pages
- About page
- Policy page
- Contact page
- Core values
Posts, on the other hand, can be populated with seasonal specials, sales, sets of pictures, how-to’s…. you know, bloggy stuff. – WordPress Post SEO
One may go into much more detail than the following five points suggest, but these 5 are pretty important in my opinion.
WordPress Page SEO Points
1. Page Title: The title should be short and to the point for the bots as well as engaging to human readers.
2. Page URL: Use the most important 2 or 3 word keyword phrase related to the product or service here, words separated-by-dashes. If you’re going back and editing an old URL be sure to use a plugin like SEO Redirection and redirect the old URL to the new one.
3. Text/Copy: Original, high quality and engaging text is a must. Handwritten, original copy is best. No one knows your business like you! Help your SEO by giving them text only you could write.
4. Images?: add SEO’d pics! People like shiny things.
5. Excerpt Field. The importance of this is dependant on your theme. Sum up the content in a sentence or two, custom write this, don’t copy-paste.
6. Meta Description: The page must have a custom meta description, since this text may be shown on a search results page. Unless your theme supports custom fields, you may need a very simple plugin to add custom meta-descriptions.
lightly edited for 2017. Check out WordPress Post SEO.